Award-winning Northumberland has lots to do and see
We are ideally located for visiting all that this award-winning county has to offer including more castles than anywhere else in England, a stunning National Park, UNESCO’s World Heritage Site Hadrian’s Wall Country, the Northumberland Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the Northumberland International Dark Sky Park, Kielder Water & Forest, several English Heritage and National Trust places, Beamish Museum and the cities of Newcastle upon Tyne, Durham, Sunderland and Carlisle.
There are lots of sightseeing, walking, cycling, fishing, nature, history, stargazing and shopping opportunities to explore – or just come to relax and admire the beautiful scenery. There really is something for everyone! Guests who visit Northumberland for the first time always leave wanting to return soon… no-one is ever disappointed with their choice of holiday destination.
- Winner of Gold for the ‘Best UK Holiday County/Region’ at the British Travel Awards 2018 – and prior to that Silver for four years running
- Northumberland’s Hadrian’s Wall winner of the ‘Landmark of the Year‘ in the BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards 2019
- Winner of the Wanderlust Reader Travel Awards 2018 – ‘Top UK Destination‘
- Northumberland National Park winner of the ‘National Park of the Year’ in the BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards 2018
- Northumberland Coast winner of ‘Holiday Destination of the Year’ and Embleton Bay winner of ‘Beach of the Year’ in the BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards 2017
- Winner of the ‘Best UK Region for Families’ at the 2016 Family Traveller Awards
Use the map and links below to see what’s nearby and take a look at our ‘Out and About’ and ‘Days Out’ pages for some more ideas. We have lots of tourist information in our cottages and many guests use our ‘7 day itinerary’ for ideas for great days out.
Search the ‘To Do’ Map
Drakestone Cottage – NE65 7DF Stanegate Cottage – NE47 5DE